Which do you have?
What is the difference between the two?
In the game of LIFE, they assign you a career, not a job. Oh, it would have been so nice if I could've just spun the wheel and drawn my chosen fate. I had to take a few left turns before I finally got on the right path.
I've had my share of jobs and while I loathed most of them, I learned a lot from them too. I can proudly say that now I have a career. For the most part, I love it, which I guess is a good thing considering how much I've (err, my grandparents) have paid to "higher" learning institutions in this country.
I really miss the "job life" -- clock in, do tasks, clock out, get paid. I don't miss the instability and usually wretched hours that come from a job (weekends, holidays, nights).
My career on the other hand gives me a nicer pay check, security, a mighty nice schedule that accommodates my family life, and the all important goal of self accomplishment and purpose to life. (note--the last point is highly tested most days)
My career now consumes so much of my time though. It is by my own choice of course. I know others in my career who treat it very much like a job setting. Nope, not for me. I promise myself I'll get out of this career when I start treating it like a job. I constantly am trying to improve myself and my role, much to the chagrin of my dear husband, but it keeps me going.
Do other people who have careers spend this much time on them outside of the normal workday? Please tell me yes.
I often wonder if I will have another career in life. Can I keep doing this for 25 more years? Hmm, we'll see.
What makes people choose a job over a career? I see so many people just happy with a job. That wasn't an option for me, not that there is anything wrong with that, or is there?
Have you guessed my career yet? It is a teacher, aka: educator, aka: facilitator of learning.
Now that I have let that little personal tidbit about me out of the bag, you can expect more posts that have to deal with teaching and education in general.
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment